Expecting the visitor that never comes

(There too, as everywhere, I sometimes expected the Visitor who never comes. The Vishnu Purana says, ‘The house-holder is to remain at eventide in his courtyard as long as it takes to milk a cow, or longer if he pleases, to await the arrival of a guest.’ I often performed this duty of hospitality, waited long enough to milk a whole herd of cows, but did not see the man approaching from the town.

-Thoreau’s Walden)

We have burst upon Thoreau’s solitude when no visitor arrives in the eventide from all those towns in the distant haze as they sit in their prime , beyond fields.

All the while, milking of cow takes place. The cows are a solitude to themselves before their milk flows to morning coffee .Their feet shuffle in slush, their eyes vacant. Only a tiny moon hangs above their tin roof .

Solitude is not away from body’s music, more in the windy creak of dead wood as strange words spring in a white space from the vast wild wastes of our nights. We sit alone, away from milking cows linking their remote existence to solitude.

Skimming is not lack of attention but rather an attempt to cope with abundance

…not only is skimming a kind of reading we can (and should) choose to use, it is the ideal method for dealing with an abundance of reading. When there is much to read, and you want to get to as much of it as you can, skimming is essential. So perhaps our increased agility with skimming is not so much a product of a distracted lifestyle, but of increased abundance—a practice brought on by the wealth of text, not the poverty of attention….

A reading Note on how to read in an age of abundance
http://aworkinglibrary.com/library/archives/how_to_read_in_an_age_of_abundance/
That assuages my guilt about skimming that I so religiously practice on my wanderings in the internet. The long text always leaves you wanting for less in this age of abundance. So why not read a little rather than nothing? Dreaming of in-depth reading can perhaps be left to the younger more patient minds but for us oldies who can always predict in advance what the writer is going to say in the coming pages it should suffice to skim and keep ourselves aware of the topic. This is yet another style of reading , my friend here says and it suits me to agree with him wholeheartedly. No lack of attention, only rationing of attention in this age of plenitude.

Skimming

Skimming seems to be the problem of internet reading for most of us. Depth is not what we are looking into but rather the width and the range of reading.I hardly read much,except around 10% or so as I begin to read .I guess the remaining 90% and make it all up so well in the mind,so that at the end of the day I belch in complete belly-satisfaction! Because reading only stokes the fires of my imagination ,forcing me to make up for what should be the thinking of the writer in the balance part of the writing.

If this is what is skimming in the context of the present day internet reading, it cannot be true that we skim in order to overcome the problem of plenty,the abundance of reading availability. It is merely that we skim in order to fill in our minds most of what other people write with our own stuff.

Needs elaboration ? The next time.

(From my Ohlife journal)